As early as the ’90s, speedrunning has brought hard-core and casual gamers together to enjoy one thing: beating someone’s best time. A speedrun is a play-through of a whole video game or a selected part of it (such as a single level), played with the intention of completing it as fast as possible. Since 2019, there have been over 230K speedrun stream titles across Twitch, Youtube Gaming, and Facebook Gaming. Mario 64, Dark Souls, and Minecraft are just some of the game titles that players often attempt. Additionally, organizations like Games Done Quick have popularized charity streaming among speedrunning while some streamers, like dream, have kickstarted incredibly successful careers from their runs.
- March of 2021 was the most popular month for speedruns, producing over 14K titles. Twitch streamer mistermv held a charity stream for Doctors of the World during this period. His speerunning streams generating 67K peak viewers.
- Since August 11th, speedrunning channel RTAinJapan is the #1 channel across Twitch, YouTube Live Gaming, and Facebook Gaming. Currently, the Japaense Twitch channel has 5M hours watched.
- As speedrunning continues to grow, more organizations and brands should take note of the retained success of organizations like Games Done Quick, creating a rising segment of gaming to reach new audiences.
THE INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR LIVE STREAM MEASUREMENT
Stream Hatchet’s focused on connecting real time data to trends across the gaming world, with the goal of maximizing content insights across the video games and esports industry. Our new Pro platform is robustly built with the key tools for running marketing activations on live streaming platforms.
Stream Hatchet’s Pro platform can:
- Track game trends and evaluate what platforms the viewership is coming from
- Query stream titles or chat messages for easy ROI analysis and footprint
- Provide rankings of all esports events and associated channel viewership
Ready to enhance your go-to marketing strategy with Stream Hatchet? Get started with a free trial today.